LandPKS is a free app, developed in New Mexico at the Jornada Experimental Range and NMSU, with an international team of researchers and students.
The app is available for Android and iPhones. Discover the value and potential of your land with LandPKS and use this information to plan and track management actions. You can identify your soil and learn about its characteristics, then monitor and keep records about soil health and vegetation indicators over time.
The new LandPKS Habitat Module is a way for you to learn about local wildlife and find out what you can do to create more beneficial habitat conditions for those species –whether you manage a large parcel of land, or you’re just a homeowner with a yard.
Currently available modules and their features –more information on LandPotential.org:
- Soil characterization and identification with links to NRCS and FAO soil information
- Soil infiltration and plant available water-holding capacity prediction
- Ecological Site identification (US)
- Land Capability Classification
- Calendar-based farm record keeping
- Record yield, rainfall, planting dates, and more
- Monitor soil health with simple field observations – no lab required
- Record NRCS-aligned soil health indicators
- Store lab results for pH, soil organic carbon/matter, and electrical conductivity
- 20-minute cover, composition, and height monitoring using a yard or meter stick
- Biomass and utilization
- BLM-AIM/NRCS-NRI-compatible data collection
- View select species that may occur in your area
- Compare species habitat characteristics to your data
Go to LandPotential.org for lots of fact sheets, case studies and tutorials on how to use LandPKS.